Saturday, May 18, 2013

Semolina Flour in Lichinga?!

Lichinga is not known for it's availability of special food items...or even for the availability of lots of items that we think of as normal, everyday items.  That's why I was so surprised when Tyren found a bag of semolina flour in one of the shops one day.  He wasn't sure what you could do with it; but he knew it was some type of special flour and that I would probably know what it was, so he bought it!  I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it-make sesame semolina bread!  I had seen a recipe for this bread probably about 10 years ago and had always wanted to try it.  Last month, I found a recipe on King Arthur Flour's website and whipped up a batch!  We all loved it!

(We happened to have purchased some sesame seeds on one of our trips to Malawi.)
 
There wasn't enough flour left to make another batch of sesame semolina bread, so I made a batch of homemade herb noodles with some of the flour...

 
(I miss my Atlas pasta maker collecting dust in CT!  I had to hand roll and cut these!  Next time we go back to the U.S. I hope to bring it back here!)
 
...and homemade pizza with the rest of the flour...YUM!

(This pizza has homemade cheese on it that we purchased from some local missionaries and pepperoni that was mailed to us in a box!)
 
 
 
Blessings!
Tiffany



No comments:

Post a Comment